Sunday, April 4, 2010

To Which He Replied..."To Save the World." #1

This will be one of many with the same theme (though I probably won't post all of them sequentially.) Today's post has to do with one of the most inventive comics that's come through the industry in a long time: The Umbrella Academy. It's so off-the-wall and different from anything that I've seen: almost nothing in it is conventional. It's great. It was really fun to just let loose with the look of 'Spaceboy': most of the pictures I do try to retain some sort of realism (as much as I can anyway), but with these characters I can totally let loose and try new things that I don't normally get to do. I would love to see this series made into a quality movie (or even series of movies if they do it well enough). The characters are great, the story is great: it's just great. I enjoy it anyway. So the theme of the pictures is made to look like character one-sheets (or, for those of you who have no idea what I just said) movie posters. I in no way want this to be animated: a live-action version would add a great aesthetic as a lot of the elements from the comic would be interesting to see translated into "reality". I don't know when I'll post again. Spring break was too short, and I've got a lot of projects on my plate besides work and school (more previews of those to appear before the end of the month I suppose.) Hope this was worth the wait.

© 2010 Jeremy Owen
The Umbrella Academy: characters and logo © Gerard Way and Gabriel Bá
Cheers.
~J

1 comment:

  1. Dude, sweet! I like the . . . sorry, the guy-guy stuff. The action stuffsh. =P

    I like your new blog banner too!

    ReplyDelete