Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Abolishing Sugarcoated Vampires

Time to address this "Twilight" thing. I don't care if you like it or not, but I'm going to share my views and experiences on the matter. I read the first three. And to me, the plot didn't move forward at all. So I didn't bother to read the forth. And then this whole thing exploded where I live. You see, I'm from Port Angeles, and Forks is about a good 2 hour drive from where I'm based. So the majority of tourists now that come to my town are Twilight fans. I appreciate the flow of people: it might get this po-dunk town on the map...I'm just disappointed about the way it's getting the attention. I will say this though: when choosing Forks as a location for her books, Stephanie Meyer must have been selecting from a long list of locations. I see it this way: she closes her eyes, points to a random spot on the list, and thus Forks was chosen. But perhaps the thing I'm disappointed about is her description of Port Angeles (followed closely by her lack of writing skill...don't deny it...she uses about 100 descriptive words throughout the entire book...that's one per 1 1/2 pages). She obviously didn't visit these places before she wrote the book, because everything is off in a big way: the town, the locals, everything.
But I'm not here to judge you. I don't care it you like the books/movies. I'm just letting you know that I don't. I tried, oh, how I tried, but...it just didn't work out. And when this whole Twi-craze blows over, I'll be able to get a good nights rest.
By the way, I saw these people under a street lamp the other day driving home from work. It looked as though they'd just been dropped from they're jobs. I hope they find work somewhere, though I don't think it's likely.

© 2010 Jeremy Owen
Cheers,
~J

No comments:

Post a Comment